Thursday 19 September 2013

STOP MICE EATING PEAS - HELPFUL TIP

YOU SOW YOUR PEAS, AND WAIT - AND WAIT -


It happens to me, every time.  Last year on the allotment I got only 2 peas growing, out of a full packet of Alderman peas that I sowed.  

Also last year there was a huge number of mice living in the compost heap, fat and lazy. From the number of empty seed cases under the sunflower seedheads, they had been running up the stems,  having a bonanza feed, then probably going home for a bit of nooky.


I VOWED NOT TO LET MY SUNFLOWER SEEDHEADS REMAIN ON THE ALLOTMENT THIS YEAR  - I have cut them off.



Also this year, I sowed my peas in Rootrainers and transplanted them.
It is a fiddle and I resented having to go to all that trouble.  But I did get pea plants, and peas.


PENNARD PLANTS



I just read this helpful tip, in the newsletter I get from Pennard Plants  

THEIR TIP OF THE MONTH


"Tip of the month - Protect peas from mice, birds and slugs, strew half an inch thickness of sawdust over the row after the peas are sown. Mice never touch it, birds do not like it and never meddle with the peas after they appear through it and it bothers slugs by adhering to them. (The Gardener's Receipt Book around 1900)."

THANKS SO MUCH, CHRIS AND MIKE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment